- Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre “Dr. Mary Wright Prize” Contest 2020
Official Rules and Regulations
The Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Dr. Mary Wright Prize for 2020 will be awarded in the following categories and age groups:
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Ages 6-9yrs
- Ages 10-13yrs
- Ages 14-17yrs
- Ages 18 + yrs
- Family Collaboration
Original works of art with the theme “COVID Creative” are invited to be submitted online after December 15, 2020 at www.wrightfoundation.ca by February 16, 2021 at midnight.
Works of art can include any media as which can be represented in text, video, or picture media and include but are not limited to photography, painting, sculpture, music (instrumental/voice/both), dance, acting/theatre, story, poem, or any other art form.
The 2020 Dr. Mary Wright Prize will be awarded to the best entry in each category, as chosen by the jury, with special attention to representation of the theme “COVID Creative” in addition to creativity and mastery of the medium. The jury is comprised of distinguished arts professionals and community representatives and their decision is independent of the Wright Family Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation, it’s board directors and executive.
The winners of the public vote through the Wright Family Foundation Social Media Facebook page will account for 1 jury vote in each category.
- The competition for the Dr. Mary Wright Prize is open to Canadian artists who are residents of Strathroy-Caradoc, or who are students who attend an elementary, junior, or high school located within the municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc. For the purposes of this competition, “Canadian” shall, in every instance, be interpreted to mean a person having Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status. Family is defined as 2 or more persons residing at the same address.
- For any contestant who has not reached the age of majority, parent or guardian consent is necessary to enter the Contest. Where appropriate, the terms “contestant” and “winner” mean parent or guardian of that person.
- Members of the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation and the jury are not eligible.
- All entries must be uploaded to the official contest website at www.wrightfoundation.ca no later than midnight on February 16th, 2021.
Selection of Winners:
- Each entry will be judged by the jury for:
- Representation of the theme “COVID Creative”,
- Appropriateness of the medium to convey the theme,
- Mastery of the art form,
- The public vote winners will account for 1 final vote in the judging panel.
- The decisions of the jury are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes will be awarded at a public or virtual reception/event to be announced
There is no entry fee to make a submission to this contest.
Prizes will be awarded in each Art form Category and Age Category as follows:
- Material Arts (painting, drawing, pottery, sculpture) & Written/Spoken Arts (poetry, creative writing)
- Musical Arts (composition, instrument, vocal) & Performing Arts (acting, dancing, skating)
- Ages 6-9yrs $250 in each art category
- Ages 10-13yrs $250 in each art category
- Ages 14-17yrs $500 in each art category
- Ages 18 + yrs $500 in each art category
- Family Collaboration $500 in each category
- Total Prizes to be awarded $4000
The value of the prize is intended to support the winner in the pursuit of furthering their artistic capabilities. Funds are intended to be used for example to purchase art supplies or materials, courses or education in artistic techniques, attendance at workshops or conferences relevant to the art form, or presentation of the artists’ works at public art installations or venues. As a requirement of accepting the prize, the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation requests a written submission outlining how the prize was used to further the winners’ art capabilities.
- This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal laws.
- Entrants shall allow the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation to use all digital images and other materials provided to the Dr. Mary Wright Prize Contest in connection with the Competition, to photograph their works while in its custody, and to reproduce their work by print or electronic means for the purposes of documentation and archiving of the exhibition, for use on their websites and other media, and for advertising the Competition, including subsequent catalogues, brochures and posters.
- Each winner shall sign a release declaring their eligibility as stipulated in points 1 and 2 above of these rules; agreeing that their name, image and/or voice may be used for advertising purposes related to this Contest free of charge; and releasing the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation as well as its respective directors, officers and employees (the “Contest Parties”) from all liability for any damage or loss arising from participation in this Contest or from the awarding, acceptance or use of the prize.
- The prize shall be accepted as is and may not be exchanged or refunded for an amount of money, sold or transferred. No substitutions will be allowed. Any unused portion of a prize will be forfeited.
- If the prize cannot be awarded as described in these rules, the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component with another of comparable value, as determined in its sole discretion.
- Refusal to accept the prize releases the Contest Parties from any obligation toward the winner.
- If a contestant makes any false statement, (s)he will be automatically disqualified from the Contest.
- The Contest Parties assume no liability for any loss, damage or injury, including without limitation: (i) lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late, destroyed, illegible or incomplete entries; (ii) loss, theft or damage to software or computer or telephone data, including any breach of privacy; (iii) fraudulent calls; (iv) inability of any person to participate in the Contest for any reason including mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail; technical, computer or telephone malfunctions or other problems with computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, or software; congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination of the foregoing; (v) damage to any person’s computer, including as a result of playing or downloading any material relating to the Contest; (vi) any delay or inability to act resulting from an event or situation beyond their control, including a strike, lockout or other labour dispute at their location or the locations of the organizations and businesses whose services are used to administer this Contest; or (vii) prizes that are lost, damaged or misdirected during shipping.
- The Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation reserves the right to cancel or suspend this Contest should a virus, bug or other cause beyond their reasonable control corrupt the security or proper administration of the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
- All personal information, such as name and contact information, is collected by the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation solely for the purposes of administering this Contest and shall not be used for any other purpose without your express consent. By providing this information, you consent to it being used for the stated purposes.
- Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF CANADA AND ONTARIO, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Ontario having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
- If the identity of a contestant is disputed, the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry will be deemed to be the contestant. The individual assigned to the e-mail address for the domain associated with the submitted email address is considered the authorized account holder. A selected contestant may be required to provide proof that (s)he is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the selected entry. All entries must be submitted from a valid e-mail account that may be identified by reverse domain name search. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry in this Contest will be the Contest server.
- The Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation reserves the right to amend the Contest rules or to terminate the Contest at any time without any liability to any contestant.
- Any amendments to these Contest rules will be posted on www.wrightfoundation.ca/Contest-Rules
- By entering, you agree to abide by the Contest rules and the decisions of the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation, which decisions are final and binding on all contestants.
Facebook: The Contest hosted by the Wright Family Performing Arts and Entertainment Centre Foundation is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media application or enterprise.